Successful completion of an ABTC certification exam demonstrates dedication to the profession to quality patient care, a high level of knowledge and competence in the field of organ donation and transplantation. Upon passing the exam, practitioners become a part of an elite community of certified professionals who perform at the peak of their field.
Over the past decade, ABTC has continued to hold our pricing structures steady while improving operations and absorbing steady cost increases. Despite identifying cost-saving measures, the current economic environment has forced a new pricing structure. Beginning January 1, 2023, the following changes will be instituted:
• A non-refundable $150 fee will be assessed on all exam applications;
• CCTC, CPTC, and CTP exam fees will increase from $425 to $495;
• CCTN exam fee will increase from $325 to $350;
Required Qualifications for Certification Exams
To be eligible for a certification examination – which tests knowledge on all solid organ transplants – candidates must have completed the following requirements:
- Certified Procurement Transplant Coordinator (CPTC): Candidates must have completed 12 months of work experience as a vascular organ procurement coordinator.
- Certified Clinical Transplant Coordinator (CCTC): Candidates must have completed 12 months of clinical vascular organ coordinator work experience.
- Certified Clinical Transplant Nurse (CCTN): Candidates must have completed 24 months of work experience as a registered nurse, including 12 months of direct involvement in the care of the solid organ transplant patient. For information on the conversion of standard units to international units for the CCTN examination, visit Jay Clinical Services.
- Certified Transplant Preservationist (CTP): Candidates must have completed 12 months of work experience in organ preservation (though organ preservation does not have to be the full-time work responsibility).
Applying for an Exam
You may complete an online electronic application by creating an account in Certemy.
1. To create an account, follow the Apply for an ABTC Certification exam link below, and complete the required fields. A verification email will be forwarded to the email address you indicated. Click on the blue “COMPLETE REGISTRATION” button to begin the completion of your application. If you do not receive the email, please check your spam or junk folder. Please be prepared to complete and upload the Employer Attestation form.
2. Once your application has been approved, eligibility will be confirmed by email. Click the blue “DIGITAL WALLET” button in the email for a message that provides the nine-digit number needed to schedule your exam with PSI. Remember to keep this email for your records.
3. Acceptance is valid for 90 days from the date the candidate is confirmed exam eligible (as specified in the confirmation notice). A candidate who fails to schedule an appointment for an examination within the 90-day period forfeits the application and all fees paid to take the examination. The candidate will be required to reapply for a future examination.
Scheduling an Examination Appointment
PSI Exams, is the professional testing agency contracted by ABTC to assist in the development, administration, scoring and analysis of the ABTC certification exams. Candidates have access to PSI Exams
nationwide network of nearly 200 secure testing locations. PSI Exams online has testing sites in the top 175 metropolitan service areas, as well as many rural areas, within a short drive. PSI Exams online provides secure, reliable, and highly credible testing services that meet the highest professional and ethical standards.
Approximately 1 to 2 weeks from the time you have received your eligibility email from Certemy, you will receive a scheduling email from PSI. You will then be able to schedule your exam. You will have 90 days from the approval of your exam application to schedule your exam.
With access to PSI Exams network of nearly 200 secure testing locations across the United States, you can be sure there is a certification examination site near you and your team. Exams are easy to schedule, and because long-distance travel is not required, travel costs are minimal.
If You Pass the Examination
When you pass an ABTC examination for the first time, you will be awarded the appropriate credential from ABTC within 30 to 45 days of passing the examination. Your certification is valid for a period of three years as indicated on your certificate.
If You Do Not Pass the examination
If you do not pass the examination you may reapply 90 days after the date of your last exam attempt. You will need to reapply online by following the Retakes Only below. A candidate may only attempt an examination once every 90 days.
More details are provided in the ABTC Candidate Handbook.
Application Submission and Test Administration
Apply for an ABTC Certification exam (First-time exam takers only)
RETAKES ONLY (Must be 90 days from last exam attempt}
Special Accommodations Form
Employer Attestation Form
Examination Statistical Report